Tonight at 8:30 pm EST
A National Remembrance
of B.K.S. Iyengar
This evening, a communal remembrance of B.K.S. Iyengar will take place. Inspired by the Iyengar Yoga National Association of the U.S., practitioners across the country will perform this sequence.
- Tadasana — 3 minutes
- Adho Mukha Svanasana
- Utthita Trikonasana to the right and left
- Adho Mukha Svanasana
- Tadasana — 3 minutes
- Quiet sitting — 5 minutes
Except for Tadasana, we leave the timings to your best judgement. We encourage you to practice this in your own home as the studio will be offering a separate tribute on Saturday, September 13.
Sunday, September 7, 2014
Qigong and Cancer: The Science and Practice of Complementary Medicine with Kenneth Cohen
Qigong is the most extensively researched method of energy medicine in the world. Although the various postures and meditations have a wide range of applications, one of the best documented is in complementary therapy for cancer and to mitigate the side effects of therapy. You will learn about the etiology of cancer from a qigong perspective, including the connection between cancer and liver function, cancer and pace of life, and how emotions may influence cancer initiation and development. There will be a critical discussion of the promises and pitfalls of qigong research and suggestions about how to effectively integrate qigong into health care.
On a practical level, students will learn qigong methods for well-being that are also used in China as part of cancer therapy, including Inner Nourishing Qigong which combines breathing with healing phrases; a complete Five Element Meditation to wash the internal organs of toxic qi; Standing Meditation, and gentle exercises based on the Crane and Deer. These practices are highly enjoyable, easy to learn, appropriate for beginners, and a great tool for health-care providers to prevent exhaustion from “healer burn-out.”
- Sunday 9 am-12:30, 2-5:30 pm
- Cost $125
- This workshop will take place at the Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Auditoriums C & D
Ken Cohen, M.A. (www.kennethcohen.com) is a renowned qigong master and health educator with more than 45 years of experience. Winner of the Lifetime Achievement Aware in Energy Medicine, his work has been sponsored by the American Cancer Society, the Mayo Clinic, Health Canada, and numerous medical schools and hospitals. Ken is the author of The Way of Qigong: The Art and Science of Chinese Energy Healing (Ballantine Books) and more than 200 journal articles.
Saturday, September 13
Exploring Stability and Ease in Backbends
with Jill Johnson
B.K.S. Iyengar died on August 20, 2014 at the age of 95. Jyoti Hansa died on February 4, 2014 at the age of 79. Both teachers have greatly influenced and inspired the teachers at AHA.
- 9 – 11:30am We will honor their teachings in the backbend workshop (open to those with at least one year of Iyengar yoga experience). To register for the worksop, please RSVP to Jill and send a check for $25 to AHA, PO Box 735, Lebanon, NH 03766.
- 11:30 am – 1pm We will serve Indian samosas (vegetarian dumplings) and chai (spicy Indian tea). This celebration is open to all students and the general public. Please RSVP to Jill by Sept. 8 if you plan to attend.
Other upcoming events
- Sunday, September 21, 4 – 5:30 pm. Partner Pre-natal Workshop with Jill Johnson and Charles Meyers. $30. To register, email Jill.
- Sunday, September 28, 4 – 5:30 pm at the studio. Yoga Sutra Discussion. Free and open to the public. Please bring a yoga sutra book if you have one.
- Thursday, August 28: There will be no Thursday Gentle Yoga Class. The next class starts on 9/11/14.
- Monday, September 1: The studio will be closed for Labor Day.
Fall at AHA
The Fall schedule is available online and at the studio. The studio is closed on Monday, September 1. Enjoy these August summer days and remember the studio is air conditioned.
Note the following new classes:
- Thursday: 6:30 – 7:30 am Rise and Shine Yoga with Rick Lamont. This class will be offered for six weeks, from 9/11/14-10/16/14. If there are interested students, it will continue.
- Thursday 5:30 – 6:30 pm End of Day Yoga with Kristin McGee. This class is appropriate for beginners and those who want a quiet, end of day practice
- Thursday 7 – 8:30 pm Special Topics with Kristin McGee. The first six-week session will be from 10/16 – 11/20 and the topic is How to Develop a Home Practice. To register, email Kristin. You can use your AHA pass or pay a special price for the six classes of $72.
- Sunday classes are back starting September 7. We all look forward to welcoming Diana Shannon back to the studio.